Here is a cake that is so simple, yet so mouth watering good! This cake lasts about 2 days in my house, if I am lucky. No cake lover will pass up this cake.
Basic Butter Cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Generously grease two 9 inch round pans, or one 9×13 pan with solid vegetable shortening, dust with a little cake mix. Set aside.
- Place cake mix, milk, melted butter, eggs, and vanilla in mixing bowl. Blend with electric mixer for 1 minute, scrape sides, continue mixing on medium for 2 minutes. Pour batter into pan(s). Place in oven.
- Bake until cake is golden brown and springs back when touched lightly with your finger. 20 – 30 minutes. Remove pans from oven, place on wire rack to cool.
Chocolate Pan Frosting
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter
- 4 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 3 – 4 cups powdered sugar
- Place the butter in a medium/large saucepan and melt over low heat, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in cocoa powder and milk until mixed well. Let mix just come to a boil, stirring, and then remove pan from the heat.
- Stir in confectioners sugar until desired smooth consistency.
- Frost completely cooled cake immediately, before frosting cools, because this goes on best while warm!!
- Top with your favorite topping i.e. marshmallows, sprinkles, nuts, coconut
Boy this cake is amazing! The orange rum sauce that it is soaked in makes it tip-top! Yet, it is so light for summer time. I paired it with a glass of Italian White Dry Prosecco. Heaven! I had a mini-vacation in my living room. Try it you won’t be disappointed.
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup dark rum
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease and flour a 12-cup bundt pan. Set aside.
- Place cake mix, pudding mix, orange juice, melted butter, rum, eggs, and orange zest in a large mxing bowl. Blend with an electric mixer on low for 1 minute. Stop, scrape sides, continue mixing on medium for 2 minutes. Pour batter into prepared pan. Place pan in oven.
- Bake cake till it springs back when touched gently with a finger, and it starts pulling away from edge of pan, 40 – 50 minutes. Remove pan from oven, when finished baking, and place on wire rack to cool for 20 minutes. Run a long, sharp knife around edge of cake and invert onto serving platter.
- Meanwhile prepare glaze, while cake is cooling. Place butter, sugar, rum and orange juice in smal l saucepan over medium heat. Bring glaze to boil, stirring constantly. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Poke holes in top of cake (when it is on the platter) with a long wooden skewer or toothpick. Spoon hot rum glaze over cake and down the sides and middle. Let cool completely before serving.
Store this cake in plastic wrap at room temperature for up to 4 days. Refrigerate up to 1 week. Freeze up to 6 months wrapped in foil.