This cake was heavenly! I know cliche, but I couldn’t help it. Such an easy recipe for such a delicious, simple summer cake. It took me about an hour and 15 minutes from start to finish. I think a garnish of Hershey’s Syrup or a few Hershey Kisses would add that special touch from simple to elegant. But, that my friend, is up to your imagination.
- 1 package (16 oz) angel food cake mix
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup espresso or coffee liquour
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract (or vanilla)
- 1 square (1 ounce) semisweet baking chocolate, grated
- Place a rack in center, or 1 below center, of the oven and preheat oven to 325 degrees. Set aside an ungreased 10-inch tube pan.
- Place the cake mix, water, espresso/coffee liquor, and flavored extract in a large mixing bowl. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed for 1 minute. Stop machine, scrape sides, then increase mixer speed to medium and beat for 1 more minute. Fold in grated chocolate, with rubber spatula, until evenly distributed. Pour batter into pan, smoothing out top. Place pan in oven.
- Bake cake until it is light brown and springs back when lightly pressed with your finger, 35 – 45 minutes. Remove pan from oven and immediately turn it upside down over the neck of a glass bottle to cool for 1 hour. Run a long, sharp knife around th edge of cake and invert it onto rack, then invert it again onto a serving platter, so that it is right side up.
Note: The Cake Doctor’s original recipe is called chocolate-speckled peppermint schnapps angel food cake. I didn’t have schnaps, so I tweaked the recipe to the ingredients I had on hand. If you like to make the peppermint version, you just replace the schnapps for the coffee liquor and peppermint extract in place of the almond extract.