Basic Butter Cake
- 1 package plain white cake mix
- 1 cup whole milk
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter, melted
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Generously grease two 9 inch round pans, or one 9×13 pan with solid vegetable shortening, dust with a little cake mix. Set aside.
- Place cake mix, milk, melted butter, eggs, and vanilla in mixing bowl. Blend with electric mixer for 1 minute, scrape sides, continue mixing on medium for 2 minutes. Pour batter into pan(s). Place in oven.
- Bake until cake is golden brown and springs back when touched lightly with your finger. 20 – 30 minutes. Remove pans from oven, place on wire rack to cool.
Chocolate Pan Frosting
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter
- 4 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 3 – 4 cups powdered sugar
- Place the butter in a medium/large saucepan and melt over low heat, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in cocoa powder and milk until mixed well. Let mix just come to a boil, stirring, and then remove pan from the heat.
- Stir in confectioners sugar until desired smooth consistency.
- Frost completely cooled cake immediately, before frosting cools, because this goes on best while warm!!
- Top with your favorite topping i.e. marshmallows, sprinkles, nuts, coconut